What Arabs Read
is a readership survey conducted in 2007. The readership survey represents the first empirical data made publicly available on the topic of readership in the Arab world
and thus represents a vital tool for publishers, researchers, institutions, policy-makers and donors.
Readership was identified and measured in terms of reading habits and attitudes, accessibility, languages, channels, pricing and purchase behavior
amongst adult, literate Arabs. The resulting data was compiled and analysed both on a national and regional bases.
Readership survey objectives:
Coverage and Orientation
- To produce reliable and representative data on reading habits and reading attitudes in the Arab world;
- To gain an understanding of the current state of readership and to segment main groups of readership among the literate population;
- To gain an understanding of the primary, preferred and available mediums and channels for acquiring written information;
- To build the requisite infrastructure for future readership surveys.
The survey was implemented in two phases and covered 9 countries in total:
- The first phase covered Egypt, Lebanon, Tunisia, Morocco and Saudi Arabia;
- The second phases covered Algeria, Jordan, Palestine and Syria.
The survey was carried out on a sample size of 1,000 persons per country, aiming at a representative representation of the entire literate population in each country. Sampling methods were based on a face-to-face quantitative methodology using a Stratified Random Sampling methodology guided by the use of PSU’s (Primary Sampling Units).
What Arab Reads: Reports and Expert Commentaries
- What Arabs Reads Report, Phase 1 (covering the countries Egypt, Lebanon, Tunisia, Morocco and Saudi Arabia) is available in English here and in Arabic here.
- What Arabs Reads Report, Phase 2 (covering the countries Algeria, Jordan, Palestine and Syria) is available in English here and in Arabic here.
- A copy of the questionnaire is available here.
- Expert commentaries of the survey outcomes are availabe by: Hany Hanafy, James Wile and Ramy Hadeeb.
Поетическо четене и разговор на Виргиния Захариева (България) и Радмила Петрович (Сърбия...
На преден план: Фотографии на литературни преводачи
Разговор с Аня Капункт
➡ 27 юли, събота, от...
13.11.2020 9:00 - 17:00
В края на лятото Съюзът на преводачите в България (СПБ), Унгарският културен институт и специалност...
24.09.2020 - 27.09.2020
Работилници за литературен превод, лекции, практически модули, срещи с колеги, дискусии
Ако сте пропуснали разговора между Албена Стамболова и Леони Ходкевич през месец май в Къщата за лит...
21.10.2019 17:30 - 19:30
Професионална дискусия около настоящата работа на Еухенио Ариасу и Олга Хохлова върху преводи на пое...